Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Remembering Michael Crichton' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Remembering Michael Crichton
Authored by: Cartoonasaurus on Nov 05, '08 06:34:29PM

Well, as a fantastically rich man, Michael Crichton had no need of 'petro dollars', so you kind of have to figure this was his honest assessment of the Global Warming 'crisis'.

Not a rare opinion. In fact, it is my opinion. Nice to know that he was a Mac user just like me.

Remembering Michael Crichton
Authored by: ctierney on Nov 05, '08 08:35:19PM
I agree, Cartoonasaurus.

I'm a great fan of his work and was delighted to find he was challenging the notion of man made global warming. Here's the late Charlton Heston reading from the epilogue of Jurassic Park on this subject:
Michael_Crichton_Jurassic_Park_Charlton_Heston.mp3

If anyone's interested, here's a global warming debate hosted by NPR with Michael Crichton as one of the participants (they won):

What creeps me out is that people are being convinced that we can actually steer climate change like a boat when we can't even reliably predict the weather.

Basic chaos theory is all that's needed to understand the futility of accurately modeling our climate. Climate change "scientists" ignore the greatest green house gas, water vaper. Everything's much cleaner in the models if you leave out the clouds.

Concensus is not science.

Remembering Michael Crichton
Authored by: rjbailey on Nov 05, '08 11:34:23PM
Chaos theory--yeah, I know all about that too because I saw Jurassic Park!

You're an idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Remembering Michael Crichton
Authored by: DHH on Nov 06, '08 09:26:01AM
You're an idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about.
How very interesting. You're a true vulgarian, aren't you?
Funny how often this well-thought argument is heard from the true believers of the AGW church and its Goracle. Stay classy!

Remembering Michael Crichton
Authored by: robg on Nov 07, '08 08:46:37AM

While I welcome debate on things posted here on hints, name calling is not something that's welcomed. So please, keep things civil.

-rob.

Remembering Michael Crichton
Authored by: rab777hp on Nov 07, '08 04:42:24PM

please give the dead some respect

Remembering Michael Crichton
Authored by: Anonymous on Nov 06, '08 02:57:27PM

Climate change is not weather. Predicting the weather is like predicting when a particular schmuck is going to win the lottery. Climate study is like predicting how many schmucks will will the lottery.

Your attempts to pass this off as a considered viewpoint are somewhat amusing.

Crichton was a denialist, not a scientist. He was also a brilliant author -- of fiction.

Remembering Michael Crichton
Authored by: astack on Nov 07, '08 11:44:24AM

Believing that just because the consensus can be wrong ipso facto means that climate change somehow isn't happening, or that human activity doesn't have something to do with it is completely illogical. Crichton had a lot of similar very clever arguments for a lot of things, including dinosaurs and climate change, but a lot of them were obviously wrong to someone who knew the technical details about what it was he was describing, but not so much the casual reader. E.g., at one point he declares in State of Fear that there is cooling in some weather stations, but that isn't what climate change is about, it's about the mean surface temperature, not isolated places. I won't get into it more than that, this debate is best left to other sites...

I read Jurassic Park with a lot of interest when I was in high school and it had a lot to do with me picking my current career path, but everything of his I have seen since then has been either not interesting to me (ER) or I considered it downright bad (Lost World, State of Fear). While I have some very good memories of some things he has done (including support of this site), unfortunately I can't say I will miss him.

Remembering Michael Crichton
Authored by: rottenchops on Nov 06, '08 09:49:34AM

His credentials in the field of climatology were... ?
The motive for promoting a "global warming hoax" would be... ?