Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: pediger on Nov 03, '08 01:32:48PM

Well, I can't get past step 2. Obviously it's a VMWare/VMDKMounter issue, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone has experienced this.

When I try to mount the new, as well as any old, image, I just get a popup window that says "test.vmdk" and "The specified disk is not mounted." This has been reported on the VMware forums but with no clear resolution.

I uninstalled the newer MacFuse 1.7.1 and reinstalled VMWare in order to get version 1.5.1 (verified), rebooted, and successfully tested MacFuse with sshfs. When I do try to mount a suspended image, rather than the new one that is shut down, the error message is different and indicates I indeed cannot mount a suspended image.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask here first.
(10.5.5; VMWare 2.0 116369)

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: Sven G on Nov 03, '08 11:27:37PM

I, too, had problems mounting VMs some time ago; now, anyway, I have the latest versions of Leopard, Fusion, and MacFuse (installed separately): so it shouldn't be a version problem. Maybe you could try to reinstall the latest MacFuse from their website, and then reinstall Fusion...?

(BTW, regarding the last part of the hint, one can of course set the preferred screen resolution also before booting the VM for the first time, by editing the related file directly on the mounted disk image. Anyway, be sure to unmount the image before starting Fusion; if it repeatedly gives a disk in use error, one can always try to logout or reboot to unmount it.)

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: pediger on Nov 04, '08 10:15:27AM

Thanks for that Sven. Since I tried both, I agree the version of Fuse was probably not the issue and will upgrade again when I get a chance. I haven't really gotten much use out of Fuse lately; I need to check for any new "filesystems" out there that may be of more use.

In order to follow through with this VMWare/OS X experiment, I was able to get Leopard working as a client by using the alternative ISO-image installation method. Works mostly (no crashing or panics; VMWare Tools support is pretty good) but networking is more or less dead. NAT gives me nothing but a 169.254... address; Bridged does get a valid address from my router, so some network traffic is flowing, but after that neither LAN nor WAN traffic gets in or out. Bonjour shares are showing, interestingly, but don't connect. Must be that certain protocols are not being routed properly.

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: Sven G on Nov 04, '08 11:25:49AM

On my experimental Tiger VM (the one described in the hint), NAT networking works flawlessly, while bridged mode doesn't connect (at least the first time I booted): it looks similar to a problem I had in Ubuntu with bridged networking, where I had to edit /etc/sysctl.conf, adding these lines:

net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0

(effective after rebooting). This because my router didn't work well with the default settings: but how would one do this in Mac OS X? Is there an easy way? That's the problem...

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: pediger on Nov 04, '08 01:29:17PM

Both NAT and Bridged appear to work fine after a reboot of the host. Pshaw! I rebooted after reinstalling VMWare so I didn't think to do it again.

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: Sven G on Nov 04, '08 10:56:00PM

Same here: both NAT and bridged mode now work in my experimental Tiger VM, too - at least, this problem is solved! ;-) :-)

BTW, returning to the hint, even if the are no Tiger-compatible VMware Tools, there is a minimal mouse integration (à la Screen Sharing); but, sadly, there's no time synchronization between host and guest.

To the previous posters: are you sure you made a 64-bit VM? Personally, I had hangs at boot when I tried to make ordinary, non-64-bit Mac OS X VMs. But probably this is not the problem...

Another question: do there exist retail or other generic Tiger/Intel DVDs? I thought that they were all machine-specific (even if this can be modified with a simple hack by modifying an invisible file, if I'm not mistaken: maybe there was even a hint on this, here, some time ago), and thus can install only on the computer they came with.