Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: atverd on Nov 03, '08 12:05:50PM

Tried generic 10.4.6 and 10.4.6 from my MacBook Pro and they don't boot after installation. First doesn't boot at all, second starts and crashes. What version of 10.4 you tried in your installation?

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: Sven G on Nov 03, '08 01:01:42PM

I tried it with a Mac OS X 10.4.10 Mac Mini install DVD, and everything worked well. Could it maybe be that some older versions are incompatible with Fusion? I don't know...

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: dirtysauce on Nov 03, '08 06:00:54PM

I've also had the same issue with this and 10.4.6. I tried this same method for 10.5 and both have a kernel panic [crash] and only get as far as the grey apple logo.

Does anyone have any of the same issues?

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: Sven G on Nov 03, '08 11:17:52PM

I tried the hint also with a Mac OS X 10.5 retail DVD, and that too worked without problems. Maybe it could be that there's something wrong with your Fusion installation...? Personally, I have sometimes fixed problems simply by reinstalling Fusion.

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: jiclark on Nov 05, '08 10:59:33AM

From my experience, most recent machines require something newer than 10.4.6; my MBP 10.4.8 disks worked fine...

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: apeish on Nov 05, '08 06:52:56AM

Similar issues here. Tried a generic 10.4 disk and the specific for the Mac i've tested on.

* The hardware-specific disc failed while installation (tried twice) an a macbookpro and once on a Mac Pro.
* the generic install works but fails while booting in VMware (can't locate com.apple.Boot.plist)

So for me it looks like its not finding where to boot from at all.

10.5: Virtualize machine-specific 10.4 in Fusion 2
Authored by: mkuron on Nov 11, '08 05:42:12AM

There are no generic Intel-Tiger discs (they never got sold through retail). So you probably used a PPC disk, which obviously won't work.