Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Sharing Mac Printer with Windows via CUPS?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Sharing Mac Printer with Windows via CUPS?
Authored by: mickelsn on Aug 25, '02 03:27:54PM
This hint was tantalizing, until I realized that it provides printing from the Mac to a Windows printer via CUPS. What I'm hoping to do is print from my Windows laptop to my Mac-connected laserprinter via my wireless network. Can anyone help me figure out how to set this up via Samba and/or CUPS?

Thanks...Neil

Sharing Mac Printer with Windows via CUPS?
Authored by: bax on Aug 26, '02 03:18:40AM

Some tips for SAMBA: (as root)
Edit /etc/smb.conf and add the line "printing = cups" to the [global] section. Uncomment the [printers] section and change
"public = no" to "public = yes". Reboot.

Sharing Mac Printer with Windows via CUPS?
Authored by: cgriffin on Aug 26, '02 03:26:29PM

I modified the /etc/smb.conf file. Now my iMac shows up in the windows add printer Wizard. However it wants a printer name. I looked up the printer name in the printcap file and used that name but windows says it could not connect to the printer.

Sharing Mac Printer with Windows via CUPS?
Authored by: ThorsProvoni on Aug 27, '02 04:59:11AM

Exactly my problem, too. Tried to connect to a Canon S450 attached to my iMac. The other direction - printing to a HP Laserjet connected to a Windows 2000 systems works perfectly well.

Any suggestions?

Sharing Mac Printer with Windows via CUPS?
Authored by: pinsel on Sep 11, '02 12:56:43PM

i had the same problem while i used the name from the info tag. For my HP Printer i have to use the name from the following tag <DefaultPrinter DESKJET_950C>. It works perfect, but after installation i'm also unable to print via the URL... any suggestions?

thx pinsel

Sharing Mac Printer with Windows via CUPS?
Authored by: rymes60 on Sep 12, '02 03:30:45PM

> Authored by: cgriffin
> I modified the /etc/smb.conf file. Now my iMac shows up in the windows add printer
> Wizard. However it wants a printer name. I looked up the printer name in the printcap
> file and used that name but windows says it could not connect to the printer.

Don't use the Add Printer Wizard. Go to the Network Neighborhood and open you MacOS X Computer's icon. The printer icon ought to be there. Right-click on it and select install. You will have to specify the correct driver for this to work.

Tom

BTW, if you are having problems with Windows Files Sharing not staying checked in System Preferences, go to the Accounts preference pane and make sure that at least one user has "Allow user to log in from Windows" Checked.

Sharing Mac Printer with Windows via CUPS?
Authored by: zwarbo on Sep 20, '02 05:07:32AM

I have got the icons in XP and went through the install of
the new driver for the XP side. Then once the install finished
it says under the printer icon "Access denied, unable to connect"
Any thoughts on that?

Sharing Mac Printer with Windows via CUPS?
Authored by: skrumble on May 26, '03 03:04:45PM

Had much the same problem, I think it could be a permissions thing BUT I changed the printer driver to "generic/text only" on the PC and I can now print (albeit in b/w and courier font). I'm stumped - any other solutions?