Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Avoid drop box file permission issues' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Avoid drop box file permission issues
Authored by: TravisD on Oct 08, '08 09:34:06AM

This sounds a lot like a classic Unix issue. I'm completely guessing here, but *nix basically always uses the numerical UID/GID "under the covers". The nice human-friendly Username is just show to you in the utilities that need to, and is looked up on the fly out of whatever mechanism the system is using to store such details.

Now what happens is that when you move files around, unless the program handling the ingestion of the file takes care of it, the file retains it's original UID/GID. You can see this if you untar a file archive that was created on another system - the files will end up being owned by whatever UID/GID they were owned by on the other system, which may or may not map to an actual user on the destination system.

I'm thinking here that in one case, both users actually have the same UID since they were the first users created on their respective systems. In the other case, perhaps the Logins were created in a different order, or each was "first' on their respective system.

First User is created and given UID 501. Second user is created and gets UID 502. As long and the files are transferred from the First User on each system, the UID matches and things are fine. If not, ownership issues come up.

This is why some programs that move files between systems (such as Samba) support changing ownership of any transferred files to some designated user, possibly also defaulting to a particular permission set as well.

Total speculation here, but figured it might give you an angle to work on.

Avoid drop box file permission issues
Authored by: kirkmc on Oct 08, '08 10:03:19AM

No, they're not both 501; that's something I checked. In fact, my user (kirk) is 501 on my Mac, my wife's Mac, and my Air. On my son's Mac, he's 501. And this problem happens between all of them except the Air.

Kirk

---
Read my blog: Kirkville -- http://www.mcelhearn.com
Musings, Opinion and Miscellanea, on Macs, iPods and more

Avoid drop box file permission issues
Authored by: ghay on Oct 08, '08 02:08:54PM

The users won't have the same UID on the same machine, and I'm fairly sure in the case of mounted volumes, you are authenticated as a user on that box, so have the permissions of that user, or you have "ignore ownership" turned on and everything is owned by the unknown user.

I think it is highly more likely that there is an ACL at work on the drop boxes.
I would remove any ACLs from the drop boxes, et al

sudo chmod -RN /path/to/folder

Then try again.

Avoid drop box file permission issues
Authored by: kirkmc on Oct 08, '08 02:12:44PM

The users _do_ have the same UID on different machines, because I set up my "kirk" user first on all my Macs. For example, if I connect from my Mac Pro to my Air, I can go into kirk's drop box, because it's 501 with the same password.

Kirk

---
Read my blog: Kirkville -- http://www.mcelhearn.com
Musings, Opinion and Miscellanea, on Macs, iPods and more

Avoid drop box file permission issues
Authored by: ghay on Oct 09, '08 03:19:35AM

You misunderstand - you have authenticated with the other box.

If I go and create a new account on another mac - I just have to test this very point - the user UID is 502, yet when I login to the mac and authenticate as that user, all the ownership shows as 501 - because that's what I am on the local box.

It has to work this way due to the mount point at /Volumes as if I suddenly had the foreign UID, my local account couldn't access anything on the remote box.

It simply doesn't matter what the UID is on the foreign box, when mounted as a network drive it will either be owned by unknown or your local user.

Avoid drop box file permission issues
Authored by: ghay on Oct 09, '08 03:20:42AM

And I really do think it is an ACL issue anyway