Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'An rsync-based backup solution for easy backups' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
An rsync-based backup solution for easy backups
Authored by: cayla on Sep 26, '08 12:23:45PM

What exactly are you losing if you don't copy the extended attributes / metadata? (Those are essentially the same thing, right?)

If I just want to be able to recover the actual data in my home directory and I don't care about losing any custom icon data, etc.

Am I hurting myself skipping this step? (eg, no -E on rsync)

An rsync-based backup solution for easy backups
Authored by: billabOng on Sep 26, '08 02:11:37PM

You'll lose more than custom icons (speaking from experience). Use the -E flag (I most commonly use -avE).

An rsync-based backup solution for easy backups
Authored by: cayla on Sep 27, '08 11:50:45AM

Can you give me examples of what more I could lose?

The poster below mentioned losing Safari file bookmarks. (I assume they just mean like bookmarks created when you drag a link to the desktop for example and not the internal Safari ones).

Essentially, all I am worried about restoring is actual data. Songs, pictures, text files, movies, etc. Is there that much extra data actually stored in the resource fork? I though OS X was a step away from this?

It probably has more to do with the pokey NAS I use than anything else, but I have noticed that backups take substantially longer when I use the -E flag. It is almost as if rsync can't tell that the information hasn't changed. (Or maybe it has?) Furthermore, it is strange that is takes so long to move 4K of data regardless. (That is how big the NAS shows the resource as. Eg, ._[filename]).

And like you, I was using -aE. Now I just use an -E unless I can be convinced I am losing something valuable.

Thank you both for the responses so far. I appreciate it.

An rsync-based backup solution for easy backups
Authored by: miggins on Sep 28, '08 08:01:47PM
An rsync-based backup solution for easy backups
Authored by: mael on Sep 26, '08 02:57:45PM

I have a similar mindset. I don't like metadata. There isn't much you'd loose. Honestly.
Unfortunately links you dragged from Safari are stored in the resource fork (metadata) while the data fork (file content) is empty. You know, those "somthing.webloc" files. Yeah. I curse Apple every time I stumble across one of those.
Leaving behind the metadata you'll have perfectly empty file. If you double click, it even starts Safari, but thats about it. No information anymore inside.

Links dragged from Firefox work, but then, I do like Safari quite a lot...

An rsync-based backup solution for easy backups
Authored by: miggins on Sep 28, '08 08:04:56PM

A file's name, type, dates (modified, created, accessed, etc), size, location and permissions are metadata. How can you even have files without some basic metadata?

An rsync-based backup solution for easy backups
Authored by: davidmorr on Sep 28, '08 03:03:45AM
Read this article which, amongst other things, gives a good overview of the metadata and why you would want to keep it:

An rsync-based backup solution for easy backups