Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Switch MacBook power on/off with its lid closed' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Switch MacBook power on/off with its lid closed
Authored by: iRideSnow on Sep 09, '08 01:45:04PM

I'm confused why you would be powering your MacBook off/on enough to warrant doing this and risk scratching your screen? It's pretty rare that I ever have to power my Macs off. Even traveling back and forth between my home and my office, I don't power my MBP off. I just close the lid.

Switch MacBook power on/off with its lid closed
Authored by: ratzfatz on Sep 09, '08 01:51:24PM

The whole thing here relates to the moments where you must turn the device on.

Switch MacBook power on/off with its lid closed
Authored by: cmdahler on Sep 10, '08 05:36:30AM

I think the question is why would you want to turn your laptop off/on so much that would make this a useful hint. I and most people I know who have a Mac (whether a laptop or a desktop) haven't actually turned off the computer literally for years. The only time the thing ever gets rebooted is during a software update. What's the point?

Switch MacBook power on/off with its lid closed
Authored by: ratzfatz on Sep 10, '08 08:10:11AM

The reason I am going to power down every evening is because the MacBook is connected to a network account on the server. A backup of all accounts is performed every night.
I woudn't feel comfortable by backing up an account with a user still connected.

Old school, I know.

Switch MacBook power on/off with its lid closed
Authored by: cmdahler on Sep 10, '08 09:28:30AM

Not to belabor the point, but wouldn't simply putting the laptop to sleep with the "Wake for Ethernet network administrator access" checkbox unchecked in the Energy Saver preferences solve your connection issue? Obviously, you do whatever you want with your computer, but it seems like just putting your laptop to sleep when you're done with it and hitting a key on the keyboard in the morning to wake it up would be quite a bit simpler than jury rigging something that, in spite of the best intentions, could eventually mar the surface of your computer, or at worst, damage the power button if it got accidentally hit with enough force.

Just a thought.

Switch MacBook power on/off with its lid closed
Authored by: ratzfatz on Sep 09, '08 01:57:59PM

and you also don't seem to realize that scraching the sreen won't happen.