Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'this isn't in OS X' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
this isn't in OS X
Authored by: vajonez on Sep 19, '01 03:14:33PM

Oops. If I had read your post more carefully I would have noticed that you mentioned the omission of the java client. Thanks for the clarification.

this isn't in OS X
Authored by: professor on Apr 27, '02 01:01:27AM

>SSH port-forwarding does indeed work for encrypting your VNC
>connection, but I don't know any obvious way to make this easy
>from any remote computer. I'd love to hear someone's ideas...

From *any* remote machine? I don't think so, as you need a machine with
an ssh client.

From a *nix machine (including MacOSX), create an alias in your .cshrc
file

alias tunnelvnc 'ssh -L 5900:your.home.machine:5900 your.home.machine'

and type "tunnelvnc" at the commandline before connecting with the vnc client to localhost:0
(ie, port 5900 on localhost).

P.S.: As a VNC client for MacOSX, I'd like to recommend VNCDimension.app.

this isn't in OS X
Authored by: professor on May 02, '02 01:44:22AM

Actually, because of its support for Tight Encoding, my favourite VNC client is now Chicken of the VNC.app. With the latest version of OSXvnc, this makes a world of difference in the usability.

In the same note, I also point out that you can couple SSH tunneling with firewalling external access to the VNC port(s) for extra security.

osxvnc.com a dead link now?
Authored by: osxpounder on Oct 22, '02 12:40:59AM

I just went to osxvnc.com, and it links to a cheezy search page at Trafficz.com .... Could this mean that there is no more OSX VNC server anymore?

osxvnc.com a dead link now?
Authored by: osxpounder on Oct 22, '02 12:40:59AM

osxvnc.com a dead link now?
Authored by: dump on Nov 06, '02 07:29:58PM

No, it's just bouncing around. Try