Send an RSS item from ReadKit to Safari's Reading List
Jul 23, '13 07:30:00AM
Contributed by: strandedintheus
ReadKit (http://www.readkitapp.com) is an RSS reader that synchronizes with multiple RSS services. It supports sending articles to read-later services such as Instapaper, Readability and Pocket. However, out of the box there is no way to send an article to Safari's Reading List (aside from manually copy-and-pasting the URL into Safari).
Reading List (RL) is very handy if you have multiple iOS devices, since articles in RL are automatically synchronized and downloaded on each devices. Below, I will describe a simple service that import the currently selected article in ReadKit into RL.
- Open Automator and create a new Service. Call the Service "Add to Reading List"
- Select Service receives: "no input"
- Click on the next drop-down box, select "Other..." and find ReadKit in the Applications folder
- On the left-hand side sidebar, select "Utilities" and then double-click the action "Run AppleScript"
- Copy and paste the content of this script into the window
- Save the service and quit Automator.
- To add a keyboard shortcut, go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts and select "Services"
- Find the "Add to Reading List" service and add your preferred shortcut.
Mac OS X Hints