Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Prevent SkyMACMate from locking up on Intel Macs Phones
If you purchase any Yealink product and use it with, say, Skype on your Mac, you must install a program called SkyMACMAte. At the time of this writing, this program is compiled for PowerPC only (version 1.0.0.12), and has been the cause of my Mac locking up reliably every couple of days. I have emailed Yealink several times about it, but only get Japanese replies.

From lots of testing, searching, and reading, I have learned that some people believe the program locks up because of a problem with dual-core CPUs, while others think it is a bug in the code that if it runs for longer that 24 hours at a time, it dies. Either way, it kills my system.

With the combination of some Automator and AppleScript scripts, and a little help from cron and iCal, we can minimize how often this thing locks up our machine. I say minimize, because I have only been testing it for a couple of days.

There are several ways to implement the following ... I am going to take a simplistic approach, one that does not require the user to edit cron jobs, etc.
  1. Create a new Automator script with the following steps:
    1. Insert an AppleScript script into it, and add the following code: tell application "SkyMACMate" to quit
    2. Add a five second pause.
    3. Add another AppleScript: tell application "Skype" to quit
    Save this as an application named CloseSkype
  2. Create a second Automator script:
    1. Add an action to launch an application: Skype
    2. Add a 10 second pause
    3. Add an action to launch an application: SkyMACMAte
    Save this as an application named OpenSkype.
  3. In iCal, create a repeating event that runs every day at some late hour that you will be sleeping (I chose 11pm). Turn on an alarm, and tell it to run a program. Select your program CloseSkype.
  4. Create another repeating event in iCal at an early time before you wake up. (I set mine for 6am). Set it to repeat every day, and set an alarm, and run the application OpenSkype.
That's it! With some luck, your system won't lock up anymore. I am still running some tests, but so far so good! Some forseen problems/options: You don't have to close out Skype in your scripts. I chose to do so. Also, if you are on a call at 11pm, your call will end when the iCal event fires. Someday maybe I'll write some script to determine if you are on a call in Skype. For now, this is all I did.

I hope this helps the many of you out there who are tired of waiting for Yealink to fix this bug in their application.
    •    
  • Currently 2.25 / 5
  You rated: 5 / 5 (4 votes cast)
 
[14,356 views]  

Prevent SkyMACMate from locking up on Intel Macs | 1 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'Prevent SkyMACMate from locking up on Intel Macs' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Prevent SkyMACMate from locking up on Intel Macs
Authored by: dirtymouse on May 13, '07 04:23:55AM

I have a USB-B2K RJ11 Skype phone adaptor which works fine, doesn't lock up the system, however the buggy software continually writs massive amounts of entries to console.log. It becomes about 10mb in size after about 15 minutes and gets bigger and bigger until i run out of memory. Perhaps the problem reported above, hence the lockup.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.9, Skype 2.5.085 and the dreaded SkypeMacMate driver v1.0.0.12

I've tried routing the log to dev null, using symbolic links for the console.log etc
and tried commenting out .err in /etc/syslog.conf to no avail...

that's from:
*.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv,remoteauth,install.none;mail.crit /dev/console

to:

*;auth.notice;authpriv,remoteauth,install.none;mail.crit /dev/console

the error code is as follows (and i have plenty of memory left)


Skype(121,0x213ba00) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
Skype(121,0x213ba00) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
Skype(121,0x213ba00) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Skype(121,0x213ba00) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)

I wish that yealink would resolve this issue once and for all.




---
dirtymouse - 'fix a troubled Mac' - troubleshooting PDF



[ Reply to This | # ]