Tabbed Terminal alternative
May 03, '06 07:30:00AM
Contributed by: stephendv
A number of Mac OS X applications support tabbed terminals, such as iTerm, GLTerm and the X11 apps such as multi-aterm. Some users are happy with these solutions, but none of them worked for me:
Finally, I came across Terminator which is a Java based terminal emulator packaged as a native Mac app. It supports a number of important features:
- iTerm is too unresponsive--it feels like typing in a lagged SSH session when I'm actually on localhost!
- GLTerm is not currently in development and is now quite dated.
- X11 apps are fast, but they don't behave the same as Carbon apps
This is worth a look if you want a tabbed terminal application.
- Faster than iTerm, but a bit slower than Terminal.
- Automatic logging of the session.
- Drag and drop from the Finder.
- A Find feature to search the current session.
Mac OS X Hints