Import mailboxes from Thunderbird into Mail.app
Apr 05, '05 10:14:00AM
Contributed by: bwarrene
No formal tool exists for this that I'm aware of, but users who use Thunderbird may have a need to do this for one reason or another (as I did). I accomplished this task manually by doing the following:
[robg adds: This earlier hint provided a script to clean up Mozilla Mail's files for import to Mail. This is apparently due to a problem with Mail's handling of whitespace (according to the posted comments). Since Thunderbird is evolved from Mozilla Mail, there may be a similar issue with importing some mboxes. If you have issues, you might want to try the script from the previous hint...]
- Navigate to ~/Library: Thunderbird: Profiles: your_profile: Mail: Local Folders. Identify the mailboxes you seek to use in Mail.app.
- Each mailbox has three pieces to it - i.e. inbox.sbd, inbox.msf and inbox with no extension.
- Take the file with no extension, hold down the Option key (so it also stays in the folder) and drag it to the desktop.
- Rename this copy with .mbox as the file extension. For example, inbox becomes inbox.mbox.
- Open Mail.app and select File: Import, choose Other, and navigate to the desktop and click Choose. Choose the file you just renamed. Your mailbox(es) should appear in the import window and will import into Mail.app.
Mac OS X Hints