Jun 17, '04 12:31:00PM • Contributed by: jasonz
But now Zenographics, the company behind the printer language used in the Laserjet 1000, has released an OS X driver. It's available here. It's an "example" from their SDK distribution, but it works perfectly for me, so far.
It installs just like any other printer driver, but more detailed instructions follow ... to install the SDK Mono CUPS sample driver and connect it to an HP LaserJet 1000 via USB:
- Ensure that the printer is connected to the system via USB and powered on.
- Reboot the Mac system if the printer was connected after the last reboot.
- Open the DMG file for the driver that was extracted from the archive file downloaded.
- Execute the PKG file inside the DMG file. Complete the installation process.
- Open Print Center (aka Printer Setup Utility in Panther).
- Click the "Add" button while holding the ALT key.
- From the top pop-up menu choose Advanced
- From the second pop-up menu that appears choose "hp LaserJet 1000" which should appear at the bottom of the list.
- From the "Printer Model" pop-up menu choose "ESP"
- From the list of models that appears below the Printer Model selection choose the "Zenographics SDK Mono CUPS v1.1" driver, then click the "Add" button at the bottom of the dialog.