Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Fix Safari localized file errors in 10.3.4 Web Browsers

After updating to OS X 10.3.3, Safari's contextual menu would replace "Save Image As...", "Copy (Image or Link) to Clipboard", and others with the text "localized strings not found." Also, I was unable to login to password-protected Web sites (that used .htaccess files). WebKit is affected too, and you can test this by launching the Help Viewer and control-clicking on any image.

After some online research, I discovered many others experiencing the same problem after updating to 10.3.4. The fix that worked for me was to reinstall the 10.3.4 Combo Updater and restart. Voilá! It works!

    •    
  • Currently 2.29 / 5
  You rated: 3 / 5 (7 votes cast)
 
[7,292 views]  

Fix Safari localized file errors in 10.3.4 | 8 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'Fix Safari localized file errors in 10.3.4' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Fix Safari localized file errors in 10.3.4
Authored by: kyliu99 on Jun 17, '04 09:04:06PM

You'll know you need this fix when you find that you no longer get the JavaScript prompt boxes.

Just type in something like


javascript:prompt('hello','')

in Safari's address bar. If you don't see a pop-up prompt, then your localization files are hosed. Get the Combo Updater and reinstall.

[ Reply to This | # ]

Fix Safari localized file errors in 10.3.4
Authored by: GoobleyGook on Jun 18, '04 09:49:44PM

Fix doesn't work.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Fix Safari localized file errors in 10.3.4
Authored by: Whosawhatsis on Jun 18, '04 02:52:10AM

That sure beats my solution...

I tried reinstalling safari a couple of times... when that didn't work, I removed it completely using DesInstaller (planning to reinstall), and made my system unbootable in the process! I fixed this by booting in firewire target mode and manually putting each file back where it belonged using Pacifist to extract them from the installer package. It solved the problem, but it wasn't a fun way to do it...

---
I was offered a penny for my thoughts, so I gave my two cents... I got ripped off.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Nope... doesn't work
Authored by: JohnKFisher on Jun 18, '04 05:52:53PM

I'm afraid that does NOT fix it, least not for me.

---
John Kenneth Fisher
johnkfisher@mac.com
http://www.westfieldnetwork.com/



[ Reply to This | # ]
Nope... doesn't work
Authored by: mschuhmann on Jun 18, '04 09:42:26PM

doesn't work for me too. i wondered if this is happening, because i use a german system. can anybody help?



[ Reply to This | # ]
If the hint doesn't fix your problem...
Authored by: maddys_daddy on Jun 19, '04 12:43:46AM
...try this. I found this through this discussion on the apple forums. Basically, you need to trash the webkit.framework, and rerun the 10.3.4 updater to reinstall the framework. The simple reinstall of Safari didn't work for me either, but this tip did. Good luck!

[ Reply to This | # ]
If the hint doesn't fix your problem...
Authored by: mschuhmann on Jun 19, '04 07:21:00AM

this worked! thank you very much.



[ Reply to This | # ]
If the hint doesn't fix your problem...
Authored by: JohnKFisher on Jun 19, '04 09:56:57AM

THis, unlike the hint, worked!

Thanks!

---
John Kenneth Fisher
johnkfisher@mac.com
http://www.westfieldnetwork.com/



[ Reply to This | # ]