Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

A workaround for VBA Scripting / FileVault conflict Apps
I've found a conflict between FileVault and MS Office X (Visual Basic), and I thought I'd share a simple workaround. Read below for a fuller description, but basically you must:
  1. Log in to an account which does not have FileVault enabled;
  2. Open an Office application (I chose PowerPoint)
  3. Select Tools -> Macro -> Visual Basic Editor (not sure this step is essential);
  4. Quit the Office app (PowerPoint in my case)
  5. Copy the file ~/Library -> Preferences -> Microsoft -> Office -> Carbon Registration Database from the non-FileVault-enabled user to your FileVault-enabled user (same location in each user's Home directory).
Read on for the long version of the troubleshooting...

I've been trying to use Salling Software's excellent Clicker PrefPane to control my PBG4 from my Sony Ericcson T610 during PowerPoint presentations. Unfortunately, every time I tried to "Start Show", PowerPoint would quit, and I'd get a nice message asking if I'd like to submit a crash report to Apple (I did).

I tried a full reinstall of MS Office X, including all updates up to 10.1.5, but to no avail. After much poking around, I found that deleting ~/Library -> Preferences -> Microsoft -> Office -> Carbon Registration Database made the problem go away for one invocation only of PowerPoint -- the file was created when I quit PP, and caused PP to crash next time I opened it and tried to open the Visual Basic Editor. After a quick Google search, I found a hint right here on MacOSXHints, which gave me a clue.

I tried switching to an other user account on my PowerBook, one which does not have FileVault enabled. Bingo! Visual Basic worked again, and continued to work after repeated invokations of PowerPoint. It appears that FileVault makes the user's Home directory to appear to Office as if it's on a separate volume (kind of makes sense, as FV puts the home directory into an encrypted disk image). That confuses Office, and leads to a Carbon Registration Database which is corrupted in some way. Happily, when I copied the CRD file from the non-FileVault user preferences to my own, Visual Basic behaved again.

Seems to me that this is a bug, but at least there's a workaround.
    •    
  • Currently 1.00 / 5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  (1 vote cast)
 
[5,723 views]  

A workaround for VBA Scripting / FileVault conflict | 1 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'A workaround for VBA Scripting / FileVault conflict' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
a bit off topic, but since it was mentioned...
Authored by: momerath on Feb 28, '04 01:28:29AM

Salling Clicker is awesome; I just got a T616 and purchased it last week, just in time to avoid Friday's price doubling.



[ Reply to This | # ]