In our office we have Xerox DocuCenter 405 copier/printer/scanner/fax that operates as our primary printer. When they came to install it, they gave us special software to use to install on our PCs to make it work. As for Mac support, they said we were basically out of luck.
However I found out that the DocuCenter can act as a PCL compatible printer. So with a little configuring, I managed to add it as a network printer. Here is how ....
- Open the Printer Setup Utility : Applications -> Utilites -> Printer Setup Utility
- Click the ADD button
- Choose IP Printing From the 1st Drop Down list
- Printer Type: LPD/LPR
- Printer Address: 192.168.x.x (Insert the IP address for your Printer here)
- Queue Name: (leave blank)
- Printer Model: Choose HP
- Model Name: Choose any PCL 5 compatible printer (HP Laserjet 6 worked fine for me)
- Press Add
- Select the New Entry
- Click on Show Info
- Select the "Name & Location" in the Drop Down List
- Enter Something Meaningful for a name (eg Xerox DocuCenter)