Jan 13, '04 07:38:00AM • Contributed by: robophilosopher
A previous hint tells us how to get a Windows XP or 2000 (and some versions of NT?) computer to print to a printer shared by an Airport Extreme base station. Unfortunately, Windows 95, 98, and ME don't have RAW LPR or JetDirect support built in.
There is a cure! Take your windows computer here (you can load the page without downloading the Japanese characters) and download the Fuji Xerox Direct Print Utility. Save the self-extracting .exe to its own folder, run it, and then run Setup.exe. This will install the LPR port drivers. Follow these steps to install the printer:
- Plug the printer directly into the Windows computer's USB port and install it following manufacturer instructions.
- Unplug the printer from the computer and connect it to the APE base station.
- Go to Control Panel -> Printers on the Windows computer. Right-click the printer, and click Properties
- Go to the Details tab, and click the "New Port" button.
- Select the "other" radio button, and choose the list item starting with "FX"
- Select the RAW protocol, and type your base station's IP address in the IP box. In the Port Name box, type something like "Airport" to help you remember it.
- Click "OK" as many times as you possibly can.
You should now be able to print just fine.