You don't need to use Linksys' Windows software to upgrade the flash firmware in your Linksys Router. Unix to the rescue! Here's how:
- Download the latest firmware from Linksys, and extract the code.bin file from the archive (usually a zip). Place the code.bin file on your desktop.
- Go into your router's configuration screen and remove the password.
- Open a terminal and type cd ~/desktop
- Run the tftp command with your routers IP number:
% tftp 192.168.0.1
- At the TFTP prompt, type binary.
- Send down the new firmware by typing put code.bin and then hitting return. Voila! If there was a short delay while the code.bin was transferred, and no errors are reported, then you are almost done.
- Go back into your router's admin screen and restore your password. Bonus: If you don't know your password, it ships from the factory as admin or if you forgot it, you can do a hard reset (see your manual).